Now I’m not one to like Fruit Cake, but my parents do, so mom and I decided to try out this recipe since we all know that store bought Fruit Cake is just awful (which could be why I’m too scared to try it again…even the homemade version). LOL I was told they it tastes amazing and they love the recipe and how it came out. So obviously I had to share it with you all because it really is hard to find a good, easy recipe. ENJOY!!
Fruit Cake recipe
- 9 c of fruit (we used: candied red cherries, candied green cherries, citron peel, raisins, cranberries)
- 1/2 c brandy or rum
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 c brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine your chosen fruit and add the brandy or rum; cover with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours – stirring periodically.
- Once you are ready to make your bread, grease two loaf pans with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper so that the cakes are easy to remove once baked.
- Position your oven rack to the middle, and preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Toss the fruit with 1/2 cup of the flour and sit aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar on low-med speed until light and fluffy (3 minutes); then add the brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Then beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Next, add in the vanilla and almond extract until combined.
- Add in remaining flour, baking soda and spices and mix until just combined.
- Finally, stir in Fruit by hand.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and place in the oven and bake for 3 to 3 and 1/2 hours.
- After 3 hours, insert a toothpick; if it comes out clean, the cakes are done.
- Let the cakes cool for 30 minutes in their pans, and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Store the cakes in a plastic zip bag, and let sit for up to a month or store in the freezer for up to 6 months.