Easy and Simple Cheesy Potato Cakes
This is the second potato cake recipe we’ve tried and it honestly was a little better than the first! However, they both pretty tasty and delicious. This one allows you to add a bit more flavor and texture to the cakes, which in return really amps up their goodness! :) They certainly are quite tasty! ENJOY!
- 3 c chilled leftover mashed potatoes
- 2/3 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp plus 1/2 c flour
- olive oil
- sour cream
- In a large bowl stir together mashed potatoes, cheese, green onions, egg and 3 tbsp flour until combined.
- Depending on how the potatoes were originally prepared, they will vary in consistency; if the mashed potato mixture looks too dry and isn’t holding together, add one more egg and if it looks too wet, add more flour 1 tbsp at a time
- Divide the mixture into 12 portions and roll each portion into a compact ball then flatten it into a pancake about a half inch thick.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of flour in a shallow dish and carefully dredge each pancake in the flour.
- Add enough oil (3 to 4 tbsp) to coat the bottom of a saute pan and place over medium heat.
- Fry the pancakes in batches until they’re golden brown and crispy on both sides (3 to 4 minutes).
- You may need to add more oil to the pan as needed between batches and do not overcrowd the pan; also, do not flip the pancakes too soon or they won’t develop a crisp crust.
- Transfer the pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle them with salt.
- Serve topped with sour cream!