This Buttery Shortbread Cookies recipe is probably one of my favorite cookie recipes that I think we’ve ever attempted. They are SUPER soft, so flavorful, and incredibly addicting! :) I guarantee these cookies would definitely be a hit at any holiday cookie swap! ENJOY! :)
Buttery Shortbread Cookies recipe
- 2 c salted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 c packed light brown sugar
- 4 and 1/2 c flour, divided
- sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees while lining baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and brown sugar and mix until fluffy and light.
- Next add 3 and 1/2 cups of the flour and mix until combined.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup flour out on a flat surface and knead dough by hand for 5 minutes while adding as much of the remaining 1/2 cup flour as needed to make a soft dough.
- The dough should end up soft and pliable, similar to play-dough but not sticky; you may not end up using all the flour, depending on how your dough feels.
- Work in desired amount of sprinkles (if using).
- Form a ball, wrap tightly, and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- You may either cut into 3×1 rectangular strips or triangles; or you may even use a cookie cutter for shapes.
- Place each cookie 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Poke cookies with fork to design if not using sprinkles.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown; if your shapes are smaller, bake less time and bake longer for bigger shapes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.