I love Asian style food…so much that I think I was meant to be Asian. :) I love Rice and Chicken, and I LOVE Coconut, so when I found this recipe for Basil Chicken in Coconut Sauce with Rice, I just had to try it and I am SO glad I did! It’s so DELICIOUS and creamy!! :) ENJOY!
Basil Chicken in Coconut Sauce with Rice
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- lime wedges
- cooked rice
- In a large plastic bag, combine the spices; then add the chicken to toss to cover the chicken in spices.
- Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes; you could also do this early in the day and keep in the fridge until you are ready to cook.
- Cook the onions, garlic, and jalapeno in a large saute pan with one tablespoon of olive oil until the vegetables begin to soften; transfer the mixture to a plate.
- Add more olive oil, if needed, and cook chicken until brown; then remove from pan.
- Mix together coconut milk and cornstarch and add to pan and cook until it begins to thicken (make sure that it comes up to a bubble).
- Add the chicken and vegetables back to the pan while also adding the basil and ginger; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice and additional basil, and lime wedges.